What are Restorative Approaches?
Restorative practice is a term used to describe a way of being, an underpinning ethos, which enables us to build and maintain healthy relationships, resolve difficulties and repair harm when relationshipsbreakdown.
Restorative approaches are value-based and needs-led.
They can be seen as part of a broader ethos or culture that identifies strong, mutually respectful relationships and a cohesive community and the foundations on which good teaching and learning can flourish. In such a community, young people are given a lot of responsibility for decision-making on issues that affect their lives, their learning and their experiences of school.
What do we offer as a Restorative School?
A safer, more caring environment A more effective teaching and learning environment
- A greater commitment by everyone to taking the time to listen to one another
- A reduction in bullying and other interpersonal conflicts
- A greater awareness of the importance of connectedness to young people. The need to belong and feel valued by peers and significant adults
- Greater emphasis on responses to inappropriate behaviour that seek to reconnect, and not further disconnect, young people
- Reductions in fixed term and permanent exclusions
- A greater confidence in the staff team to deal with challenging situations
- An increased belief in the ability of young people to take responsibility for their choices, and more people giving them opportunities to do so
Restorative Approaches and Practices provide the foundation to build, maintain and repair relationships positively with the whole school community
Every member of our staff team have regular training in the values of Restorative Approaches and how to use Restorative Meetings to support children with conflicts. Our Restorative Ambassadors work closely with the midday staff to ensure that play times are happy and incident free.
Nevill Road Junior School is also a Showcase School for the Bramhall Cluster with whom we work closely to share good practice.
To find out more about Restorative Approaches please go to www.restorativestockport.co.uk